Professor Stephen Ackland
(MBBS FRACP, Senior Staff Specialist, Director Hunter Cancer Research Alliance (HCRA) Medical Oncology
|Research Areas||Diagnostics / Screening, Genetics, Therapy and Treatment|
|Research Topics||Breast Cancer, Melanoma / Skin Cancer, Head and Neck Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancer|
|Research Types||Clinical Trials, Laboratory Research, Translational|
Professor Stephen Ackland has been conducting translational oncology research in the Department of Medical Oncology at Calvary Mater Newcastle since 1987. His main interests are basic and clinical pharmacology of anticancer drugs, including drug measurement, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and relevant genetics/genomics. He is also involved with clinical trials in cancer; mainly medical oncology.
Professor Ackland is passionate about supporting and conducting translational cancer research that will lead to improving patient outcomes. As Director of the Hunter Cancer Research Alliance he provides leadership in cancer research across the HNE region.
More information about Professor Ackland may be found here;
- Ngan, S.Y., Burmeister, B., Fisher, R.J., Solomon, M., Goldstein, D., Joseph, D., Ackland, S.P., Schache, D., McClure, B., McLachlan, S.-A., McKendrick, J., Leong, T., Hartopeanu, C., Zalcberg, J., Mackay, J.Randomized trial of short-course radiotherapy versus long-course chemoradiation comparing rates of local recurrence in patients with T3 rectal cancer: Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group Trial 01.04.(2012) Journal of Clinical Oncology, 30 (31), pp. 3827-3833. Cited 1 time.
- Price, T.J., Zannino, D., Wilson, K., Simes, R.J., Cassidy, J., Van hazel, G.A., Robinson, B.A., Broad, A., Ganju, V., Ackland, S.P., Tebbutt, N.C.Bevacizumab is equally effective and no more toxic in elderly patients with advanced colorectal cancer: A subgroup analysis from the AGITG MAX trial: An international randomised controlled trial of capecitabine, bevacizumab and mitomycin C.(2012) Annals of Oncology, 23 (6), pp. 1531-1536. Cited 4 times.
- Garg, M.B., Lincz, L.F., Adler, K., Scorgie, F.E., Ackland, S.P., Sakoff, J.A.Predicting 5-fluorouracil toxicity in colorectal cancer patients from peripheral blood cell telomere length: A multivariate analysis. (2012) British Journal of Cancer, 107 (9), pp. 1525-1533.
- Goldstein, D., Spry, N., Cummins, M.M., Brown, C., Van Hazel, G.A., Carroll, S., Selva-Nayagam, S., Borg, M., Ackland, S.P., Wratten, C., Shapiro, J., Porter, I.W.T., Hruby, G., Horvath, L., Bydder, S., Underhill, C., Harvey, J., Gebski, V.J.
- Zdenkowski, N., Chen, S., Van Der Westhuizen, A., Ackland, S. Curative strategies for liver metastases from colorectal cancer: A review.(2012) Oncologist, 17 (2), pp. 201-211. Cited 1 time.